Click here for Weekly Current Affairs May 2016 1st Week
Click here for Weekly Current Affairs May 2016 2nd Week
Click here for Weekly Current Affairs May 2016 3rd Week
Click here for Weekly Current Affairs May 2016 4th Week
Weekly Current Affairs May 1st Week
- International Jazz Day 2016
International Jazz Day was observed on 30 April. It was celebrated by UNESCO in Washington D.C. as host city.
- International Workers’ Day
The International Workers day celebrated on 1st May every year to highlight this significance. This is also known as International Labours Day and May Day..
- Iraq declares state of emergency as protestors storm into Parliament
Iraq government has declared a state of emergency after supporters of Shiite Muslim cleric Moqtada al-Sadr stormed parliament. Protesters in the capital has reached the cabinet headquarters inside the Green Zone of the cabinet building.
- Wipro inaugurates Saudi’s 1st all-women IT park
IT services company Wipro has inaugurated Saudi Arabia’s first all women business and technology park (WBP) at the Princess Nourah Bint Abdulrahman University in Riyadh.
- World Press Freedom Day
World Press Freedom Day is celebrated every year on May 3 to mark the international community that freedom of the press and freedom of expression are fundamental human rights.
- India to hold festival in Egypt to mark Tagore’s birth anniversary
To mark the 155th birth anniversary of Rabindranath Tagore, India will organize a cultural festival in Egypt next week.
- LED Bulb Ujala Yojana inaugurated in Bhopal
Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan and Union Power Minister Piyush Goyal jointly inaugurated Urja Daksh LED Bulb UjalaYojana in Bhopal.
- Real Estate (Regulation and Development) Act, 2016 comes into force after 8 yearlong efforts
Real Estate Act comes into force with effect from 1st May after 8 yearlong efforts to make operational Rules, Setting up regulatory authorities and Appellate tribunals.
- ADMM plus Exercise on Maritime Security and Counter Terrorism at Brunei and Singapore
In a bid to India’s Act East Policy The Naval Ship (INS) Airavat of India arrived at Brunei and will take part in the ADMM Plus (ASEAN Defence Ministers’ Meeting Plus) Exercise on Maritime Security and Counter Terrorism from 01 to 09 May 16.
- PM Modi launches country’s 1st solar-powered e-boats in Varanasi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the country’s first solar powered e-boats at the Assi Ghat in the river Ganga, Varanasi.
- Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam &Odia now classical languages of India
All four Southern languages – Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam and Odia are now the classical languages of India.
- SC appointed RM Lodha-panel to reform Medical Council of India
Supreme Court appointed a three-member panel headed by RM Lodha to oversee how the regulator of medical profession and education in India function
- Bengal’s Enclave-dwellers to Vote for the First Time
West Bengal’s Cooch Behar district, came up for discussion in May 2016. The district, located in the lower area of the eastern Himalayas, is in the news when 51 enclave were given the right to vote for the first time since independence in 1947.
- Vjiay Mallya Spared Being Expelled As MP, Resignation Accepted
Vijay Mallya, who has refused to return from the UK to face banks over unpaid loans, has been allowed to resign from Parliament.
- Piyush Goyal to unveil portal on payment to contract workers
Coal and Power Minister Piyush Goyal will introduce a new portal for Contract Labour Payment Management System.
- Memorandum of Cooperation to be signed between Ministry of Women & Child Development and Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, approved Memorandum of Co-operation (MoC) between Ministry of Women & Child Development (MWCD) and Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF).
- DRDO and Ayush join hands to impart yoga training to Defence Wing Staff
Delhi based DRDO’s laboratory Defence Institute of Physiology and Allied Sciences (DIPAS) DRDO in collaboration with Department of AYUSH organised a training program on Yoga for the Defence Wing Staff.
- Lok Sabha passes Bankruptcy Bill
The Parliament has passed Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code Bill, 2016 Bill. Now it will be presented to Rajya Sabha.
- Army Exercise Chakravyuh-II In Rajasthan
In a follow up to ‘Exercise Shatrujeet’ by the Strike Corps (Strike One) in Apr 2016, the pivot formations are holding major military training exercise codenamed “Exercise CHAKRAVYUH-II” in the general area of Pallu – Sardarsahar (Suratgarh) in Rajasthan.
- UNICEF-Kerala IMA partnership announced
UNICEF and Indian Medical Association’s Kerala wing joined hands to promote safe and healthy practices across the state for improving maternal and child health.
- NABARD partners Germany for Food Security initiative
National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (Nabard) joint venture with German government for a special programme on ‘Soil Protection and Rehabilitation for Food Security’
- Three Indians feature in the list of highest paid CEOs, with two in top 10
Three persons of Indian origin have been included in the list of 100 highest-paid CEOs globally.
- India ranks on 5th Place in forge goods trade, China on Top in the list
India ranks fifth position in the exports of Fake goods globally, while china is No.1 in the list with a huge 63 % share in the estimated half-a-trillion dollar worldwide imports of forged and pirated goods.
- MoU signed between Railways and Haryana & Punjab for plantation of trees alongside Railway Track
In order to save the environment, Haryana & Punjab Forest Department inked MoU with Ministry of Railways to plant the trees alongside Railway Track on Railway Land Boundary.
- Bitcoin creator confirms identity
Australian entrepreneur Craig Wright has publicly identified himself as Bitcoin creator. He has decided to make his identity known to stop the spread of misinformation about the virtual currency.
- BHEL commissions 600 MW thermal power plant in MP
Power major Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd (BHEL) announced the commissioning of a 600 MW coal-based thermal power plant in Madhya Pradesh.
- Cabinet approves currency swap deal with UAE
Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and Central Bank of United Arab Emirates (UAE) on co-operation concerning currency swap agreement. The MoU inked in February, this year.
- Reliance Power to setup plant in Bangladesh
Reliance power is all set to setup a 3,000 MW LNG-based power plant in Bangladesh as its Government of has granted in-principle approval for the first phase of Reliance Power’s project in the country.
- Indo-Japan sign MOU for Cooperation in Sports
India and Japan agreed to exchange sports persons, coaches, experts and administrators to improve the standard of the game in both nations.
- ICICI Bank signs MoU with BRICS Grouping-promoted New Development Bank
Private sector lender ICICI Bank has tied up with New Development Bank chaired by K.V. Kamath.
- Ajay Mittal takes charge as I&B Secretary
1982 batch IAS officer of Himachal Pradesh Cadre Ajay Mittal took charge as the Information and Broadcasting Secretary.
- Rohit Sharma signs as Brand Ambassador for Hublot watches
Star Indian opener Rohit Sharma became the ‘Brand Ambassador’ of world famous watch brand Hublot becoming second renowned cricketer after former Australian captain Michael Clarke to be associated with the brand.
- Indian American Sikh woman elected to key Republican Position
An Indian based American Sikh woman Harmeet Kaur Dhillon from California has been selected to a major position in the Republican Party at the National Level.
- Sachin Tendulkar to be India’s goodwill ambassador at Rio Olympics
The Master Blaster Sachin Tendulkar has accepted India’s Olympic Association’s invitation to become the Goodwill Ambassador for the 2016 Rio Olympics.
- Kishore Biyani appointed as MD of Bharti Retail
Future Group appointed Kishore Biyani as the managing director of Bharti Retail group as part of the reconstitution of the board following their merger pact that was announced last year.
- Head of All World Gayatri Pariwar Pranav Pandya nominated to Rajya Sabha
Head of All World Gayatri Parivar, Pranav Pandya has been nominated to Rajya Sabha by the Narendra Modi government.
- DR. Radha Binod Burman nominated as president of the National Statistical Commission
Eminent statistician. Dr. Radha Binod Berman has took over as part-time Chairman of the National Statistical Commission.
- Patricia Espinosa selected new UNFCCC Executive Secretary
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has selected Mexican diplomat Patricia Espinosa as the executive secretary of the UNFCCC (United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change). She will replace Christiana Figueres.
- Fleming become next MCC President
Former England all-rounder Matthew Fleming has been appointed as the next Marylebone Cricket Club president. He was nominated by the current president Roger Knight at the AGM at Lord’s.
- Sunil Lanba to take over as next Indian Navy chief
Defence Ministry appointed Sunil Lanba as the new Chief of Naval Staff and will assume charge on May 31 as 21st Chief.
- Manohar Kumar takes over as Director (Engg) in NPCC
Shri Manohar Kumar has taken over as Director (Engineering) on the Board of National Projects Construction Corporation Limited (NPCC).
- Kumar Rajesh Chandra appointed Chief of Bureau of Civil Aviation Security
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the appointment of Senior IPS Officer Kumar Rajesh Chandra as chief of Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS).
- Japanese honour for N.K. Singh
Former bureaucrat and parliamentarian N. K. Singh will receive one of Japan’s highest civilian honours for promoting economic, educational and cultural ties between India and Japan.
- Indian-American Journalist and her colleagues receives Edgar A Poe Award
An Indian-American journalist Neela Banerjee was awarded by US President Barack Obama and the First Lady Michelle and her colleagues were awarded with a prestigious award during the annual White House Correspondents carnival.
- Indian professor wins Commonwealth short story regional prize
India Author Prashar Kulkarni has won the Commonwealth Short Story Prize – 2016, for the Asia region for his politically grounded fiction Cow and Company.
- Corporation Bank gets “Excellence Award on Empowering MSMEs 2016”
Mangalore based Corporation Bank has been awarded with Excellence Award on Empowering MSMEs 2016.
- Swiss government honours Yash Chopra with statue
Bollywood director Yash Chopra has been honoured with a special statue by the Swiss government. The 250 kilos bronze statue of the late filmmaker was inaugurated by his wife Pamela and daughter-in-law Rani Mukerjee.
- Charles Borromeo resigned from Tata Steel Sports Department
Tamilnadu hailed 1982 Asian Games gold medalist Charles Borromeo head of the Tata Steel sports department has resigned citing personal reasons.
- Sudha Singh qualifies for Rio Olympics in 3000 m steeple chase event
Sprinter Sudha Singh has booked berth for Rio Olympics by finishing second in the 3000m steeplechase event at the Federation Cup in New Delhi.
- Indian team win one silver, two bronze in Archery World Cup
Indian women’s Archery team sealed silver after losing to Chinese Taipei seed in the title clash in the Archery World Cup at the Yuanshen Stadium in Shanghai, China.
- Vijender Singh records 5th consecutive victory in Professional Boxing
Pro turned Indian Boxer Vijender Singh notched up his fifth consecutive knockout win by battering Matiouze Royer of French in London.
- Nico Rosberg has won Russian Grand Prix
The Formula One championship leader Nico Rosberg has won the Russian Grand Prix in Sochi.
- Leicester wins its first Premier League title
English football club Leicester city FC secured its first Premier League title short of playing after second-place Tottenham drew 2-2 at Chelsea.
- Seven Indian shuttlers qualify for Rio Olympics
Seven Indian shuttlers have booked their berth for the upcoming Rio Olympics, scheduled in August.
- Mark Selby wins 2016 World Championship title of Snooker
England’s world number one snooker player Mark Selby (32-years) beat China’s Ding Junhui 18-14 to win his World Championship title of Snooker.
- Veteran RSS leader Balraj Madhok passes away
Veteran RSS leader and founder of Bharatiya Jan Sangh, Balraj Madhok passed away. He was 96.
- 57. Former J&K Congress minister passes away
Senior Congress leader Romesh Sharma passed away after a prolonged illness. He was 65. He was also Former Jammu and Kashmir Minister.
- Book on Param Vir Chakra winners launched
Indian High Commissioner to Britain Navtej Sarna launched a book celebrating the lives of 21 Param Vir Chakra winners written by a well-known Indian social activist.
- No Time to Pause – book by Pavithra Ramesh
Pavithra Ramesh released her debut novel named No Time to Pause, which is the story about a girl who, for want of privacy and independence goes to college in a different city.
- Biography of Shashi Kapoor released
The biography titled Shashi Kapoor – the Householder, the Star, has been authored by film journalist Aseem Chhabra of veteran actor Shashi Kapoor.
Weekly Current Affairs May 2nd Week
- 4th SAIEVAC Ministerial Meeting to be held in New Delhi
The eight nations composing the South Asia Initiative to End Violence against Children, (SAIEVAC) are assembling in New Delhi from 9th May for their 4th Ministerial Meeting.
- Nepal recalls envoy in India for alleged ‘non-cooperation’
Nepal has recalled its Ambassador to India over charges of non-cooperation and indulging in anti-government activities.
- Investments through Mauritius to be taxed from April 2017
India will start imposing capital gains tax on investments routed through Mauritius from April next under a revised tax treaty to curb tax evasion and round-tripping of funds.
- India, Bangladesh power ties with 21st-century nuclear deal
India inked a 21st century nuclear agreement with Bangladesh to engage the bilateral neighbourhood relationship between two nations.
- YSR Congress Party in Telangana assembly merges with TRS
Telangana Legislature Assembly Speaker Madhusudhan Chary has officially announced the merger of all three Legislators of YSR Congress party with the ruling Telangana Rastra Samithi (TRS).
- India’s single emergency number ‘112’ to be active from Jan 1
The single emergency number ‘112’ will be functioning throughout India from January 1, 2017
- Gujarat Government accords minority status to Jain community
Gujarat government announced a government resolution (GR) granting minority status to the Jain community.
- Railways launch Bharat Darshan Tourist train for pilgrims
Union Railways Ministry has launched the Bharat Darshan Tourist train for pilgrims to visit and bookings are being done by IRCTC and it has firmed up a budget-friendly packages.
- Environment Minister launches Web-Based Application on Integrated Waste Management System
Union Government has launched a web-based application on Integrated Waste Management System (IWMS) for better management of waste also to provide an opportunity to all the industries dealing in hazardous waste to apply online.
- Uma Bharti Launches Rural Sanitation Initiatives for Ganga Rejuvenation in Jharkhand
Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Uma Bharti launched nine projects for rural sanitation initiatives under Namami Gange Programme for conservation of river Ganga in Sahibganj, Jharkhand.
- Mahesh Sharma Releases Commemorative Coin on Maharana Pratap
Culture and Tourism Minister Mahesh Sharma has released a Commemorative coin of Rs. 100/- and a Circulation coin of Rs. 10/- in New Delhi as a part of 475th Birth Anniversary celebrations of Maharana Pratap.
- Parliament approved anti-hijacking bill providing for death penalty
The parliament approved the Anti-Hijacking Bill that award death penalty to the criminals in case of death of hostages or security personnel
- Tollywood superstar Mahesh Babu adopts AP village
Telugu film actor Mahesh Babu has adopted a village in Andhra Pradesh’s Guntur district village Burripalem under the Smart Village-Smart Ward programme. The actor also launched several development works worth about Rs 2.14 crore.
- Mukesh Ambani-owned Reliance JioInfocomm launches digital wallet
Mumbai based Reliance Jio has launched digital wallet service called Jio Money for common people. With this users can do mobile and DTH recharges, send/receive money, make bill payments, pay insurance and other premiums.
- Indian Navy launches underwater vigilance system in Visakhapatnam & decommissions fighter planes Sea Harriers
The Indian Navy has launched the state-of-the-art harbor defence systems viz., integrated underwater harbor defence and surveillance system and marine warfare data centre, which would enhance the Navy’s surveillance capability and response to security threats at the naval dockyard in Visakhapatnam.
- National Technology Day
National Technology Day is being observed across India on May 11 to glorify the importance of science in day-to-day life and motivate students to adopt science as a career option.
Theme: ‘Technology enablers of Startup India’
- 17. NDA framed NITI Aayog to replace 5-year plans with 15 year vision document
NDA Government led by Prime Minister decided to liberate of the Nehruvian five year plans and replace the plans with 15 year vision credentials. Focus is Country’s social goal & Sustainable development agenda
- India’s first solar train set for trial run in Jodhpur
Indian Railways is all set to conduct trials of itsfirst solar panel-powered train which will have its lights &fans run on solar energy in Jodhpur.
- Four out of top 5 world’s most polluted cities in India, Delhi ranks 11th
WHO reported that India is home to four of the five cities in the world with worst air pollution.4 most polluted cities out of top 5 – Gwalior, Allahabad, Patna, Raipur
- World’s largest cargo plane AN-225 Mriya lands in Hyderabad
The world’s largest cargo carrier aircraft Antonov An-225 Mriyalanded at the Rajiv Gandhi International airport in Hyderabad in en route to Australia from Europe.
- Cabinet approves country’s first Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) policy
Union Cabinet has approved the National Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) policywith a view to promoting creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship.
- India Post goes high-tech, geo-tags post offices on mobile app called BHUVAN
With the support of the Department of Space, India Post has geo-tagged over 1.5 lakh post offices on the indigenous Geo-Portal called BHUVAN
- India third in attractiveness index of renewable energy: EY Report
India ranks at third positionafter the United States and China in the category of Renewable Energy Country Attractiveness Index reported by EY.
- J P Nadda Lays Foundation Stone For 3 Medical Colleges In Jammu And Kashmir
Health and Family Welfare Minister JP Naddalaid the foundation stones of three medical colleges, to be set up at a cost of around Rs 189 crore each, in Jammu and Kashmir.
- 55,669 villages to have mobile connectivity by 2019
Union Government mulling to provide mobile connectivity in 55,669 villages by 2019 in a phased manner.
- Manamadurai-Rameswaram rail track to become first green corridor
Nearly 114 km route between Rameswaram and Manamadurai in Tamil Nadu will become first green corridor by the end of this month.
- India ranks ninth in crony-capitalism index
India is ranked at ninth position in crony-capitalism with crony sector wealth accounting for 3.4 per cent of the gross domestic product (GDP).
- Saraswat Bank donates Rs 1 cr relief for drought in Maharashtra
India’s largest urban co-operative bank Saraswat has donated of Rs one crore towards relief work drought conditions in various parts of Maharashtra.
- Odisha Government launches DBT scheme for farmers
Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik launched the Direct Benefit Transfer scheme for farmers and pledged digging of at least one lakh bore wells to improve irrigation facilities.
- 30. Ayush to ink pact with WHO to spread significance of Ayurveda
The Ayush ministry will sign a pact with the World Health Organization (WHO) to spread the importance of Ayurveda and Ayush across the world. This agreement will take place in the US in the presence of Prime Minister Modi.
- RBI releases draft norms for universal bank licences on tap
Allowing individuals with 10 years of experience in banking and finance to apply for a licence successful track record for at least 10 years are eligible to apply for a licence.
32. RBI to issue Rs 1000 banknotes with inset letter R
Mumbai based Reserve Bank of India is mulling to issue banknotes of 1000 rupees denominations with inset letter ‘R’ in both the number panels.
- Nalco signs MoU with BARC for research and development
National Aluminium Company (Nalco) has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC), Mumbai, for Research and Development (R&D) in fields of mutual interest.
- SC strikes down TRAI’s penalty on call drops
The Supreme Court struck down the TRAI regulation making it mandatory for telecom companies to compensate subscribers for call drops levied by the Telecom Regulator.
The court direction comes in the aftermath of clutch of petitions by Cellular Operators Association of India, Unified Telecom Service Providers of India and 21 telecom operators.
The petition is challenging sector regulator TRAI’s notification asking them to pay compensation to consumers Rs 1 for each call drop, subject to a maximum of three disrupted calls per day.
- Formation: 1997
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chairman: Ram Sewak Sharma
- Cabinet approves pact between SEBI and FSRA Abu Dhabi
Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved signing of a pact between markets regulator SEBI and Financial Services Regulatory Authority, Abu Dhabifor mutual co-operation and technical assistance.
- SC slaps Rs 10 lakh on Spicejet for offloading disabled flyer
Country’s Apex Court directed budget airline Spicejetto pay Rs 10 Lakh as damages to a disabled flyer, who was forcibly offloaded disabled Jeeja Ghosh in 2012.
- India’s GDP likely to expand by 7.7% in FY17: NCAER
New Delhi based non-profit Economics think tank projected India’s economic growth rate to grow marginally to 7.7 percent in 2016-17.
- Enda Kenny re-elected as Prime Minister of Ireland
Taoiseach Enda Kenny (65-years) has been re-elected as Prime Minister of Ireland .
- UK: Sadiq Khan elected as new Mayor of London
In UK(United Kingdom), Sadiq Khan has been elected the new Mayor of London. Mr Khan, son of a Pakistani bus driver, is the city’s first Muslim mayor after beating Tory Zac Goldsmith.
- Mickey Arthur appointed as Pakistan cricket team’s head coach
Mickey Arthur (47-years) has been appointed as head coach of Pakistan ahead of this summer’s tour of England.
41. Apple elevates Sanjay Kaul as new India head
California-based technology giant Apple has reportedly promoted Sanjay Kaul as the country manager for Apple India operations.
- Senior advocate Atma Ram Nadkarni appointed Additional Solicitor General
Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has appointed Bombay High Court’s senior advocate Atma Ram Nadkarni as Additional Solicitor General for a period of three years.
43. Claire Furlong is new ICC General Manager: Strategic Communications
Cricket governing body ICC appointed Claire Furlong as new General Manager to steer its strategic communications, she will assume his duty on July 17.
- Gianni Infantino names FatmaSamoura as FIFA’s first female secretary general
Senegal Based Fatma Samoura has been elected as FIFA’s first Female Secretary General as she has no experience in Soccer administration.
About Fatma Samoura:
- Shashank Manohar elected unopposed as ICC’s chairman
Former Board of Control for Cricket in India president Shashank Manohar has been elected unanimously as the first Independent chairman of the International Cricket Council.
- Rahman joins Olympic Goodwill Ambassadors’ list
Oscar winning music Director A R Rahman will also to be the Goodwill Ambassador of the Indian Olympic contingent joining the earlier appointed ambassadors list.
- SEBI approves appointment of Ashok Chawla as NSE chairman
Mumbai based India’s biggest exchange, NSE, had nominated Ashok Chawla as its new chairman after obtaining a clearance from the market regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India.
- Hindupur Pradeep Rao appointed as Deputy CAG
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the appointment of senior audit service officer Hindupur Pradeep Rao as Deputy Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) with effect from July 1, 2016.
- Anil Kumble re-elected as ICC Cricket Committee Chairman for three years
Former Indian Bowler Anil Kumble re-elected as ICC Cricket Committee Chairman for a second term.
- Axis Bank appoints Sanjiv Misra as Non-Executive Chairman
Mumbai based Private sector lender Axis Bankhas appointed retired bureaucrat Sanjiv Misra as independent director and non-executive chairman for a period of five years.
- Michel Temer takes over as interim Brazil president
Brazil’s interim president Michel Temer set to remain in office till 2019. He took over the presidency from Brazil’s first female President Dilma Rousseff, who was suspended from office for 180 days over an impeachment.
- Justice Mukul Mudgal appointed as deputy chairman of FIFA governance committee
Ex-Chief Justice of Punjab and Haryana Mukul Mudgal has been appointed as the deputy chairman of world governing body FIFA’s Governance Committee.
- SMS-based Vehicle Monitoring Service of Nagaland bags National award
The SMS-based Vehicle Monitoring System of Nagaland police has bagged the National Award for Smart Policing instituted by Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (FICCI).
54. MP Tourism wins ‘Best Indian Destination for Wildlife’ award
Madhya Pradesh Tourism has received the Best Indian Destination for Wildlife award by the Lonely Planet Group.
- Gorakhpur scientist bags SGD 3mn grant from Singapore’s NRF
An Indian scientist from Gorakhpur has been awarded a grant of SGD 3 million by National Research Foundation to research in congenital and adult cardiovascular diseases.
56. ISRO ex-chairman UR Rao becomes first Indian in International Astronautical Federation’s ‘Hall of Fame’
Former ISRO scientist and Professor Udupi Ramachandra Rao will be honoured with the 2016 IAF Hall of Fame Award by the International Astronautical Federations for his immense contribution to the progress of astronautics.
- Indian American Revathi Balakrishnan named as 2016 Texas Elementary Teacher of the Year
Indian Born American woman Elementary teacher Revathi Balakrishnan honoured by US President Barack Obama for her contribution work in the Education.
- Pakistan beat India at Asian Kabaddi championships
Pakistan has won the third edition of the Asian Kabaddi Championship 2016 (Circle Style) by defeating India.
59. Novak Djokovic beats Andy Murray in Madrid Open final
World number one Novak Djokovic beat defending champion Andy Murray 6-2 3-6 6-3 in the Madrid Open final.
60. Shashank Manohar Resigns as BCCI President
Shashank Manohar has resigned as president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India.
61. Vijender Singh beats Andrzej Soldra to win sixth pro fight
Pro turned Haryana hailed Boxing star Vijender Singh’s charging winning strip remained intact as he carved out a sixth consecutive knockout victory by battering Poland’s Andrzej Soldra.
- Stephen Curry named NBA’s Most Valuable Player for second straight year
Golden State Warriors star Stephen Curry was named the NBA’s Most Valuable Player for the second straight year he is set be the 11th person to win consecutive MVP awards.
- Andy Murray beats Novak Djokovic to win first Italian Open title
Britain’s Andy Murray won his first Italian Open title with a 6-3 6-3 victory over Novak Djokovic.
- Cameroon Footballer Patrick Ekeng dies after collapsing on pitch
Cameroon international footballer Patrick Ekeng (26-years) has died after collapsing on the pitch playing a first division match yesterday with his Romanian side Dinamo Bucharest.
65. Pakistan’s Human right activist Khurram Zaki shot dead in Karachi
Human Rights Activist Khurram Zaki, has been shot dead in Karachi, Pakistan. He is known for his strong stance against hatred and violence targeted at Shia Muslims. He was 40.
- Former MLA Rajeshwara Rao passes away
Former Sircilla MLA Chennamaneni Rajeswara Rao has passed away. The 93-year-old Rao is the brother of Maharashtra Governor Vidyasagar Rao.
67. US actor William Schallert passes away
Former SAG president William Schallert, best known as TV dad Martin Lane on The Patty Duke Show has died at the age of 93 at his home in Los Angeles.
68. Nirankari mission Baba Hardev Singh passes away
Nirankari spiritual leader Baba Hardev Singh was killed in a road accident in Montreal, Canada. When he was travelling from New York to Montreal. He was 62.
- Renowned West Indies cricket commentator Tony Cozier passes away
Legendary West Indian Cricket Commentator and journalist Tony Cozier died at the age of 75 following a long illness.
- Congress Rajya Sabha MP Praveen Rashtrapal passes away
Gujarat Congress leader and Rajya Sabha member Praveen Rashtrapal died after suffering a massive heart attack. He was 76.
Weekly Current Affairs May 3rd Week
- 2016 Red Flag Aerial combat exercises conclude in Alaska
The Air Forces of India and the U.S. concluded the 2016 Red Flag aerial combat exercises at Alaska in the U.S.
- India, US hold first Maritime Security Dialogue
In order to promote the partnership in the Maritime Field, India and US made the successful first round of discussion under the Maritime Security Dialogue in New Delhi.
Ist round of India, US Maritime Security Dialogue held at- New Delhi
- India and Slovenia have signed Protocol amending the India-Slovenia Double Taxation Avoidance Convention.
India and Central European country Slovenia have signed a protocol to amend an existing double taxation avoidance treaty.
Which country has signed a pact to avoid dual taxation with India: Slovenia
What is the currency of Slovenia: Euro
- Taj Mahal in top 5 tourist attractions in the world and Second position in Asia: Survey
Most Iconic wonders of the world, The Taj Mahalhas been surveyed as top five tourist spots in the world and Second in Asia.Survey was conducted byTravel Planning and Booking site TRIP advisor
Which is the number one tourist spot in the world: Machu Picchu in Peru?
Which Indian tourist spot is fifth best tourist spot in the world: TajMahal
What is the ranking of TajMahal in Asia: 2nd
- International Buddhist conference begins in Nepal to remember the Buddha Birthday Anniversary
A two-day International Buddhist conference to remember the2,560th birth anniversary of Lord Buddha began.
International Buddhist Conference has begun in which country: Nepal
Who is the Prime Minister of Nepal: KP Sharma Oli
- Beijing-New Delhi Yoga Conference opens in China
Chinese yoga practitioners gathered in large numbers over 1,000 for a group performance in Kunming in China to open the China-India Yoga Conference.
- Tsai Ing-wen sworn in as new president of Taiwan
Democratic Progressive Party leader Tsai Ing-wen has been sworn in as the new president of Taiwan.
Tsai Ing-wen has been sworn in as the new president of – Taiwan
- Lakhakpa becomes first woman to climb Everest seventh time
Lakhakpa Sherpa, US-based Nepali climbed Mount Everest for the seventh time , breaking her own record for the most summits of the world’s highest mountain by any woman.
- G7 finance summit held in Japan
The G7 finance summit held in Sendai in Japan to give fillip for balancing the growth of the global economy amid the slowing down of the Chinese economy and those of other emerging countries.
- Japan, the US, Germany, Britain, France, Italy and Canada.
- The G7 countries represent more than 64% of the net global wealth ($263 trillion)
- Rajasthan to be 1st state to issue ads to appoint V-Cs
Rajasthan becomes India’s first state to issue newspaper advertisements to select vice-chancellors for state universities to at ensure better-qualified candidates apply for the job and greater transparency in the process.
- 15 days Swachh Office drive launched across the country
Urban Development Minister M. Venkaiah Naidu launched a 15-day special ‘Swachh Office Drive’ for ensuring cleanliness at all Government offices across the country as an intensive thematic campaign under Swachh Bharat Mission.
- Section 144 imposed in Chandigarh
Section 144 of Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC) of 1973 had been deployed in Chandigarh as a result protesters will not be allowed to enter into the city.
- Which city has been came under Section 144 recently- Chandigarh
- What is the reason behind imposing section 144 in Chandigarh- Protest over food grain scamand Corruption
- Military tourism initiative ‘Veer Yatra’ launched in Pune
Maharashtra Ex-servicemen’s Corporation has launched the Veer Yatra, an initiative by the Military body that aims to spice up a vacation with on-locale narratives of real-life dare-devilry and heroism.
Q.What is Veer Yatra- A tourism initiative by Ex-servicemen’s
- Veer Yatra is launched at- Pune
- National Conference on ‘Gaushalas’ Inaugurated
The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change and Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying & Fisheries organized a day-long national conference on Gaushalas–cowshedsin New Delhi.
Q.National Conference on ‘Gaushalas’ Inaugurated at- New Delhi
- Who is Union Environment, Forest and Climate Change Minister-Prakash Javadekar
- India successfully test fires its indigenously developed Prithvi-II missile
India has successfully blasted off its indigenously developed nuclear capable Prithvi-II missile as part of a user trial by the army from a launch complex-3 of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur in Odisha.
Prithvi II Missile was test fired from: Chandipur, Odisha
Range of Prithvi II Missile: 350 KM
- World’s largest Single Rooftop Solar Power Plant inaugurated in Amritsar
World’s largest single rooftop stretch of 42 acre solar power plant of 11.5 Mw capacity was installed in India
World’s largest single rooftop solar power plant is inaugurated in: Punjab
What is the capacity of World’s largest single rooftop solar power plant: 11.5 MW
- Trial run of Delhi Metro’s new ‘driver-less’ train begins
The country’s first driverless-metro train was tested on track in the capital, equipped to run on Unattended Train Operations mode.
- Assembly Elections 2016 Results: 5 states
- Bharatiya Janata Party gains the position for the First Time
- Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi conceded defeat and appreciated BJP chief ministerial candidate Sarbananda Sonowal
- No of Constituencies won: 87 out of 126
- Left Parts wins the Election
- CPI (M)-led LDF regained power in Kerala by majority and succeed over ruling Congress-headed UDF
- LDF won 91 of the 140 assembly seats
- AIADMK retains the position
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa headed AIADMK to a second five-year term
- No of Constituencies won by AIADMK: 134 out of 232
- Mamtabanerjee retains the position
- Mamata Banerjee -led TMC is heading for a continuous victory in the Assembly elections
- TMC Won 211 out of 294
- Congress and DMK alliance succeed over N.R Congress
- Congress alliance made 17 successes out of 30 seats
Which party has secured victory in Assam assembly elections: BJP
Which party has come in power in West Bengal: TMC
Who is the chief minister of west Bengal: Mamta Benerjee
- President of India inaugurated IOC in Rashtrapati Bhavan
The President of India, Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated an Intelligent Operations Centre and launched a Mobile App ‘Monitor’ for transformation of President’s Estate into a smart township at a function held at Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi.
- Himachal CM launches PEHAL programme
Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh has introduced PEHAL programme in Shimla district.
- Hindustan Motors CEO resigns
The beleaguered Hindustan Motors chief executive officer Ajay Kumar Bansal has resigned.
- J P Nadda launches ‘Kayakalp Fortnight’ to be observed across the country in Central Government hospitals
Union Health Minister, J P Nadda launches ‘Kayakalp Fortnight’ at AIIMS, New Delhi in order to set protocols for hygiene and sanitation at government health facilities.
- After liquor, Bihar government bans gutka and pan masala
Bihar government has decided to prohibit the distribution, manufacture, storage, distribution, consumption, transportation, display or the sale of any type of ‘gutka’ and pan masala for a period of one year with effect from 21st May 2016.
- 2016 Women Economic Forum (WEF) hosted by India and organized by All Ladies League
The ALL Ladies League (ALL) organised the Women Economic Forum (WEF) from May 16-21, 2016 in New Delhi, India
- DBS Bank to set up new technology hub in Hyderabad
Singapore-based DBS Bank has decided to set up its biggest technology hub outside its headquarters in Hyderabad. The company also plans to hire about 1,500 people over the next two years.
Q.Which Bank will set up a technology park in Hyderabad- DBS Bank
- Mobile Only Bank was launched by- DBS Bank
- IT dept launches e-portal to fast track taxpayer’s grievances
The Income Tax department has launched electronic grievance redressal portal called ‘e-nivaran’ to clear taxpayers grievances and ensure early resolution of their complaints in fast track route.
- Name of the portal launched for taxpayer’s grievances- e- Nivaran
- Which department has launched e-Nivaran- Income tax Department
- Govt opens Tatkal window for faster patents to startups
Union government has opened a Tatkal window to fast-track patent proposals. Start-ups by new applicants that fills the criteria allowed to use this route for obtaining faster clearances.
Window for faster patent of Startups: Tatkal
- Associate banks to merge with SBI
Country’s largest lender State Bank of India has planned to merge its five associate banks and also to merge Bharatiya Mahila Bank. All six are state-owned.
Associate banks of SBI are to be merged with: SBI
Which, other than associate banks is going to merge into SBI: Bhartiya Mahila Bank
- Ola signs MoU with govt. to benefit ‘Safai Karamcharis’
Cab aggregator Ola has signed a MoU with National Safai Karamcharis Finance and Development Corporation (NSKFDC) to focus on building a sustainable framework by supporting entrepreneurship, skill development training and self-defence courses for Safai Karamcharis and Scavengers.
Which company has signed MoU with govt. to benefit ‘Safai Karamcharis’: Ola Cabs
- Google launches group-sharing app Spaces on iOS, Android
Google launches Group-Sharing App Spaces to let out users easily share content and commentary, group-messaging style, on any topics they wish.
Name of group sharing app by Google: Spaces
- Nepal SBI Bank launches payment gateway
SBI’s subsidiary Nepal SBI Bank has launched payment gateway to facilitate online trade and non-trade transactions between the Himalayan nation and India.
- PNB reports Q4 loss of Rs 5,370 crore, biggest in Indian banking history
New Delhi based Punjab National Bank has reported a net loss of Rs 5,370 crore in the March quarter, the biggest ever quarterly loss in India’s bank history. As the bank has had reported a net profit of Rs. 307 crore in the last year quarter.
Which Bank has registered highest ever quarterly loss: PNB
- Nomura exits mutual fund JV with LIC
Tokyo based Nomura financial Services Company has wholly withdrawn its mutual fund joint venture with LIC of India. In the aftermath LIC Nomura Mutual Fund has now been renamed LIC Mutual Fund.
- Apple announces opening of its map development centre in Hyderabad
Tech giant Apple has opened a new development center in Hyderabad which will focus on development of Maps for iPhone, iPad, Mac and Apple Watch.
Apple will open its map development centre in which city: Hyderabad
Who is Apple CEO: Tim Cook
- A V S Ramesh Chandra appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Romania
IFS officer A V S Ramesh Chandra Presently High Commissioner of India to Uganda, has been appointed as the Ambassador of India to Romania.
Who has been appointed as India’s new ambassador to Romania: AVS Ramesh Chandra
- Rakesh Kumar Mishra is CCMB Director
Council for Scientific and Industrial Research appointed Genetics Expert Rakesh Kumar Mishra as the new Director of the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB).
Who has been appointed as Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology Director: Rakesh Kumar Mishra
- Indian Origin Philip Abraham elected Deputy Mayor of Loughton in U.K.
Philip Abraham a journalist from Kerala has been unanimously elected the Deputy Mayor of Loughton town in the UK for following year.
Philip Abraham has been appointed as the Deputy Mayor of: Loughton, UK
- Ex-finance Secretary, Ratan P Watal, appointed as Niti Aayogs Principal Adviser
Former Finance Secretary, Ratan P Watal has been appointed as Principle Adviser for social sector in Niti Aayog .
- Government sets up panel to relook defence expenditure
Union government has appointed the 11-member committee led by Lt Gen D B Shekatkar (retd) to relook defence expenditure
- Cairn India MD and CEO Mayank Ashar resigns
The petroleum exploration arm of London-listed Vedanta Resources Cairn India’s managing director (MD) and chief executive officer (CEO) Mayank Ashar has resigned from his post.
- Anurag Thakur becomes BCCI president gets elected unopposed after Shashank Manohar
Anurag Thakur was unanimously elected as the second youngest BCCI President and taking charge as the Most profile position in Indian Cricket Administration
- Former IPS officer Kiran Bedi appointed as Lt Governor of Puducherry
The BJP government has named former IPS officer and BJP leader Kiran Bedi as the lieutenant-governor of Puducherry for nearly two years.
- International prestigious Award for Novelist named Man Booker International Prize announced the Winner
South Korean Novelist Han Kang has been awarded the Man Booker International Prize for his Novel “The Vegetarian” deals with a woman’s rejection of Human Brutality and giving up of eating meat.
- Man Booker 2016 Winner-Han Kang
- Writer of the book titled ‘The Vegetarian’- Han Kang
- Man Booker 2016 Winner Han Kang is from which country- South Korea
- JK Rowling receives highest French civilian honour
Eminent Harry Potter Series Author JK Rowling has been honored with the highest French civilian honour French Legion of Honour.
Q.Who has been awarded with highest French honour recently- JK Rowling
- Who is the Author of Harry Potter series- JK Rowling
- England cricketer Joe Root bags top three England cricket awards and awarded ODI Cricketer of the Year
Eminent England Cricket Batsman Joe Root has been honored with England’s Test and One Day International Cricketer of the year during England Cricket Board Annual Awards
Which English player has won Cricketer of the year award at England Cricket Board Annual Awards: Joe Root
- Mumbai based Mukesh Ambani honored with Othmer Gold Medal for Entrepreneurial Leadership
United Based Chemical Heritage Foundation honored the Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) Chairman and Managing Director Mukesh Ambani with prestigious Othmer Gold Medal for his entrepreneurial leadership
- Sania Mirza, Martina Hingis Win Italian Open
India’s Sania Mirza and Switzerland’s Martina Hingis clinched the Rome Masters title, defeating their Russian opponents 6-1, 6(5)-7, 10-3 in the women’s doubles final.
- India women settle for silver after losing to Malaysia in Asian Squash Team Championship
Indian women’s squash team ended with a silver medal its Asian Team Championship campaign as they lost to Malaysia by 0-2 margin in the summit clash in Taipei.
- Max Verstappen becomes youngest Formula 1 winner
Red Bull driver Max Verstappen became Formula One’s youngest race winner aged 18 by winning the Spanish Grand Prix.
- Women’s 4x100m relay team breaks national record at IAAF Meet
The Indian women’s relay team in 4x100m category broke the 18-year-old National record to finish in 4th position at the IAAF World Challenge in Beijing China.
- India lose to China in semi-final of Uber Cup
Indian women’s team settled for a bronze medal after suffering a 0-3 defeat at the hands of defending champions China in the semifinals of the Uber Cup badminton championship, at Kunshan in China.
Which team is the UBER Cup 2016 bronze medal winner: India
UBER Cup is related to which sport: Badminton
Which team has defeated India in UBER Cup 2016 semifinal: China
- China beats South Korea to win Uber Cup 2016 badminton final
China beat South Korea 3-1 to win the Uber Cup badminton fina l14th time.
- Denmark win first Thomas Cup title
Denmark finally got their acts right by beating fancied Indonesia 3-2 in the final to become the first European country to win the Thomas cup world team title.
- Mohun Bagan beats Aizawl FC 5-0 to lift 14th Fed Cup title
Mohun Bagan clinched Hero Federation Cup by defeating Aizawl Football Club by a record 5-0 margin and regain the title after eight years, at the Indira Gandhi Stadium in Kolkata.
- Former Test cricketer Deepak Shodhan passes away
Gujarat-born Former Test cricketer Deepak Shodhan has passed away at the age of 87.He was India’s oldest living Test cricketer in Ahmedabad.
- Veteran Gujarati folk singer Diwaliben Bhil passes away
Legendary Gujarati folk singer Diwaliben Bhil, has passed away due to age-related ailments in Junagadh. She was 80.
Diwaliben Bhil died recently. Who she was: Singer
Diwaliben Bhil was from which state: Gujarat
- World’s Oldest Olympic champion Sandor Tarics, Berlin veteran, dies at 102
The world’s oldest Olympic champion, Sandor Tarics, has died at the age of 102 in San Francisco.